Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Supporting Others' Rights

I remember having a talk with my Dad about flag burning. I was vehemently opposed to the idea and antagonistic to those who would burn it. I assumed my Dad (being a vietnam vet) would strongly agree with me. But he turned and looked at me and said "They can burn it if they want." He continued to say, "American soldiers have fought for freedom of religion and speech and died for it, and even though they burn the symbol of those freedoms, it is their right to do so."

That changed my entire lookout. It took years for me to realize the extent of this change. But when I see someone complaining and moaning about how another person (or group) is expressing their freedom of religion and freedom of speech (whether that be protesting or political), I am reminded of the way my Dad looked at me when we had this conversation. People have died for that right. If there is anyone we should be angry with over legal inequality, it is the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment