Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Corbin and Suzuki C109R

Well, I really should be writing more on the Küryakyn, but I'd rather take a small breather and talk about Corbin products. Why? Well, I hit on the most important feature Küryakyn has to offer. They have other stuff that is quite valuable. I'm hoping that they get some air filter units for the C109R that are as cool as what I've seen Küryakyn do for other bikes. But for now, I wanted to talk about an accessory brand known as Corbin.

http://www.corbin.com/shop.shtml

Corbin has been around for a while. They make some of the best seats, bags, and fairings available. So that's what I'll be showing. Now my bike has a blue/white color scheme with studded black seats. If at all possible I will show pictures that reflect that.

1. The Duel Tour Saddle seat. It's a nice seat. It costs about $500. It has a lower back rest for the passenger and driver. This is a good (and bad) thing. On the plus side your back is supported. On the negative side, it is a lot harder to mount your ride unless you practice yoga. I almost did not include this product here. I will tell you why. There is no studded seat option. They do have a million options for textures and colors. I can have a blue rattlesnake leather texture if I wanted. But no studs. My bike looks good with studs. :(


2. The front fairing. Normally I'm not a fan of a fairing. They give me this old man shiver. But considering the way this bike looks with the fairing and bags, etc, it looks pretty nice. It is pricey coming in between $1400 and $1600. There is one up side to a fairing over my current wind shield. My current wind shield blocks all wind to my face. This prevents my helmet vents from cooling my face. So I get hot and have to crack my face shield.




3. Fleetliner Saddlebags. 10 years ago I'd rather be caught dead then on a motorcycle with leather bags. Leather bags were a sign of old school hog riders. The fandangled new modern shiny hard bags were a by product of elderly retired cross-country guy/gals on their 1k lb gold wing. But becoming a parent changed things for me. I crave the ability to have some kind of baggage space on my bike. And not some tank bag (which scratches the paint) but real actual cargo space. Having embraced the classic cruiser style, my leather bags that I use fit the theme real well. The problem is they obscure where my helmet lock goes and have no locks. They look like old school leather bags, but they actually have a form fitted shape with some plastic clips hidden underneath the fake belt-buckle style clasps. So why upgrade? Well, they prevent me locking my helmet and can't lock. That means when I go to the movies, store, or anywhere that my bike will be out of sight for more than 5 minutes, I dare not leave anything in them. The fleetliner bags are the premier bags in the motorcycle bagging world. They are large enough to put a full face helmet. They contour with the body of your bike hugging it closely. They lock. They are water proof. The downside? $1600. The only feature they are missing is being able to snap off quickly in the event I want to cruise and show off my big fat rear tire.



4. Fleetliner Trunk. This is a great looking trunk. It works with the Suzuki backrest or the Corbin backrest. It matches the color of my bike. You can also fit two full-size face helmets in it. It locks. The downside? Well it is $1600. It also doesn't come with a better backrest for the rear passenger which is quite common with this size of a trunk for the passenger. As far as I know, it doesn't snap off either.






The full picture? Let me show you.

Before & After:



My opinion? Well, I just don't know. I like the way my bike looks now. If I could figure out how to lock my helmet and get some black-leather bags that lock and have studs, I'd be happier I think. But the corbin gear is pretty sweet looking.

1 comment:

  1. Man that bike looks sweet with that corbin gear. I know what your saying about the studs but that hard package you got is killer. Suzuki should have came out with this idea with some chrome rims. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete